Thursday, July 19, 2012

Valencia: Being #7 carries a massive responsibility

In an interview with MUTV, which was aired before the match between Manchester United and AmaZulu FC, Antonio Valencia talked about how be feels to be the new ‘number 7′ for the club. The Manchester United player of the year for 2012 sounded pretty upbeat about wearing the legendary shirt, once warn by Cristiano Ronaldo, David Beckham, Eric Cantona, Mark Hughes and George Best, to name a few.


“This is a shirt with a lot of responsibility and a lot of big players have worn it,” he told MUTV. “I just hope I can deliver and play the same way as the ones before because a lot of great players have worn the jersey.”
Antonio was asked if it was his idea to wear the recently vacated number 7 shirt, he replied: “No, no. It isn’t how it came about. The jersey was just given [to me]. I didn’t ask for it but I will take a great responsibility in wearing it and will try to do my best.”
Despite sweeping the boards at the end-of-season awards, the former Wigan winger is still looking to improve and would prefer collective glory to any personal accolades.
“I want to win everything, the league and all the trophies. The maximum possible. This is the objective and mentality of every single player. We want to win everything playing for this club and we will try to do it.”
“My objective is always to try and improve and the most important thing is to try and win the league.”

No comments: